May 13th, 2016
1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
William Hossler, former president of the Missionary Church, writes about a bubble at the bottom of a lake containing an unusual occupant: a small South American spider. The spider forms the bubble around itself and descends to the bottom like a diving bell. After breathing the trapped air, it surfaces completely dry. Amazingly, it is in the water but is not affected by the water.*
His illustration parallels the Christian life. As Christians, we live in a world that is increasingly sensual and immoral. Evil surrounds us on every side. We are not to become cynical or paranoid, but we are to be pure and live a holy life. How is that possible?
- Allow His Spirit to cleanse our hearts by faith.
- Maintain a strong inner core of spiritual reality.
- Submit to God and resist the devil.
- Live according to God’s Word.
- Avoid every kind of evil that would destroy our spiritual well-being.
Live pure today!
* Derl G. Keefer, ed., Wesleyan Preaching Resource: Volume 2 (Lima, OH: CSS Publishing Company, 2002).
Author: Derl G. Keefer